Proofreading, Editing, Critique
Getting help with your book from a professional editor is always recommended but often just too expensive. We have partnered with a professional editor with 30 years of experience to provide quality writing services at affordable prices.Visit our Writing Services Page
Hundreds of Helpful Articles
We have created hundreds of articles on topics all authors face in today’s literary landscape. Get help and advice on Writing, Marketing, Publishing, Social Networking, and more. Each article has a Comments section so you can read advice from other authors and leave your own.
Tips for Writing a Stellar Science Fiction Synopsis
A synopsis of your novel is basically a summary of your novel. When you send your query letter or your manuscript to a publisher or a literary agent, they will want a synopsis of the novel before they decide to dive into it. While some agents or publishers may have specific guidelines when it comes to science fiction novels, certain essentials always remain the same.
Here are some tips that will help you write a stellar synopsis that not only catches the attention of an agent or a publisher but can also be used at the back of your novel.
• It is a good practice for the author to set up the world where the story takes place. Especially when writing a synopsis, you need to make sure that you give the gist of the story and the world that it is set in. Make sure that you don’t give away too many details unless it affects the protagonist or the main conflict of the story.
• When you have written that, your next target is to introduce the protagonist. You will have to mention the gender, age, name and what is the goal he or she is trying to accomplish in the story. Share some of the problems that the protagonist will face and use this opportunity to make the protagonist appear as relatable as possible.
• Show the growth of the protagonist that will happen as the story continues. Share the fears of the character, share what the protagonist will have to do to overcome those fears and how the goals will be achieved. This is called the developing arc of a character and the agent or the publisher will be looking for it in your synopsis.
• Lead up to the ending of the story but don’t reveal it. Hint at what could happen towards the end if the protagonist doesn’t make the necessary changes. This will help you with not only building anticipation but make the agent or the publisher intrigued by the story.
Other than that, there are some other things that you need to ensure are a part of your synopsis.
• Make sure that you keep the synopsis moving, but without creating hindrances for other things.
• The pace of the synopsis should not diffuse the main character’s arc.
• You need to streamline everything in the synopsis, especially the character development of the protagonist.
• Eliminate anything that may seem unnecessary or too much information.
• Have the synopsis read by someone else and get their opinion on it.
• Thoroughly edit and proofread the synopsis.
• Don’t be afraid of writing more than one synopsis of your novel and compare them to see which is better.
• Your focus should on intriguing the agent or publisher enough for them to ask for the manuscript.
• Be as concise and comprehensive as possible, choose your words carefully and ensure that they are impactful.
These are certain things that you need to keep in your mind when you want to write a stellar synopsis for your science fiction novel. Keep them in your mind when you are writing your synopsis and see better results.
Written by Readers’ Favorite Reviewer Rabia Tanveer